Art History BA
The study of art history enriches the artistic work of students in studio and design, providing practicing artists with a strong theoretical and historical foundation for their artistic practice. Art History at the University of Saint Francis is offered as a traditional Bachelor’s degree in the School of Creative Arts, or students may choose to double-major in art history and a studio, graphics, computer, or communications concentration with a minimum of additional coursework hours. An available minor in art history may also complement your study in various other fields.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon graduation, students in the Bachelor of Arts in Art History will have acquired:
- A general foundation in the liberal arts.
- Broad knowledge of major periods, artists, and monuments, both past and present, of the Western artistic tradition, as well as a general acquaintance with non-Western art.
- In-depth knowledge of at least one art historical period, including related scholarly theories and methodologies.
- Knowledge of the tools and techniques of scholarship, including active research and writing a variety of types of essays.
- Knowledge of the techniques, media, and processes of artistic creativity.
- Reading knowledge of at least one foreign language.
- A general knowledge of World History
The Bachelor of Arts in Art History requires 120 credit hours:
- 51 credit hours in Major Required Courses
- 47-49 credit hours of general education courses
- 20-22 credit hours in elective courses as needed
Program of Study
- Major required courses, 51 credit hours: ART 109, ART 110, ART 330, ART 345, ART 348 or ART 431-432, ART 498, and ART 339, ART 340, ART 359 or ART 432. Including:
- 18 credit hours from the following: ART 235, ART 335, ART 339, ART 340, ART 359, or ART 431/432
- 6 credit hours of studio requirement: ART 106 OR Art 107, and ART 108
- 12 credit hours of foreign language requirement in the same foreign language.
- General education, 47-49 credit hours with directed courses including ART 109 and ART 498
- Electives, 20-22 credit hours
Applicants to the Bachelor of Arts in Art History Program must meet University of Saint Francis admission requirements.
Students in the Bachelor of Arts in Art History Program complete a sophomore portfolio review.
Students in the Bachelor of Arts in Art History Program complete a senior portfolio review