The Fort Wayne Ballet Conservatory of Dance at the University of Saint Francis is an exciting partnership between the University and the Fort Wayne Ballet which offers both a four-year and two-year undergraduate academic program in dance. Practical experience in the form of classes in classical ballet, modern dance, dance history and theory, pedagogy, choreography, as well as performance will be an important part of the learning experience.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon graduation, students in the Bachelor of Arts in Dance will:
- Demonstrate pre-professional competencies through technical mastery in modern dance
- Demonstrate pre-professional competencies through independent problem solving and goal setting
- Develop a body of work for evaluation in the major area of study through the final senior project or performance
- Construct informed assessments of dance and communicate observations to people related to the dance practice
- Develop a significant sense of what constitutes a serious work of dance and a coherent set of ideas and goals which are embodied in their work
- Distinguish the social, cultural, and philosophical factors in the development of dance as an art form and its relationship to other art forms
- Practice synthesis of a broad range of dance knowledge and skills
The Bachelor of Arts in Dance requires 120 credit hours:
- 60 credit hours in Major Required Courses
- 36 credit hours of Franciscan Core Curriculum courses
- 24 credit hours in elective courses
Program of Studies
- Major Required Courses, 60 hours:
- Dance Technique Core, 36 credit hours: DANC 110, DANC 111, DANC 210, DANC 211, DANC 310, DANC 312, DANC 410, DANC 411, or DANC 150, DANC 151, DANC 250, DANC 251
- Dance Studies, 24 credit hours: MUSC 270, THEA 215, BIOL 218, DANC 260, DANC 261, DANC 285, PHES 410, DANC 470
- Franciscan Core Curriculum, 36 credit hours
- Electives, 24 credit hours
In addition to University of Saint Francis admission requirements, student applying for the Bachelor of Arts in Dance Program must successfully complete and pass a dance audition.
Students in the Bachelor of Arts in Dance Program complete a sophomore review/jury.
Students in the Bachelor of Arts in Dance Program complete a senior review/jury.