The Bachelor of Arts in English prepares students for a wide variety of career opportunities, including writing, business, editing, library science, journalism, travel, civil service, human resources and administration. In addition, the major is an excellent preparation for graduate level studies in English, law, business, and related areas.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon graduation with a B.A. degree in English, USF students will:
- Demonstrate rhetorical awareness in composing, understanding, and analyzing texts.
- Demonstrate an in-depth interpretive engagement of texts across or in a variety of forms, genres, and/or time periods.
- Be able to situate literature and its function within a diversity of cultures and social and political contexts.
- Be engaged by literature from cultures different from their own.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of narrative and rhetorical terms and/or concepts.
- Demonstrate aesthetic awareness in producing creative writing.
The B.A. in English degree requires 120 credit hours:
- 36-37 credit hours in the Franciscan Core Curriculum;
- 21 credit hours in the English core;
- 6 credit hours in English Surveys;
- 9 credit hours in English Special Topics;
- 6 credit hours in English Seminars;
- 6 credit hours of English electives; and
- 35-36 credit hours of Electives as needed to complete a minimum of 120 credit hours.
Program of Study
The B.A. in English program requires:
- Major core, 21 credit hours: ENGL 111 (1); ENGL 112 (1); ENGL 113 (1); ENGL 206 (0 – in the FCC); ENGL 200, 207, 208, 209, or 255 (3); ENGL 342 (3); ENGL 375 (3); ENGL 401 (0 – in the FCC); ENGL 402 (3); ENGL 452 (3); and FCC: Interpret the Human Experience (3 – not in ENGL).
- Surveys, 6 credit hours: two courses from ENGL 231 or ENGL 232; ENGL 243; ENGL 251 or ENGL 252.
- Special Topics, 9 credit hours: three courses from ENGL 201; ENGL 240; ENGL 250; ENGL 253; ENGL 263; ENGL 271; or ENGL 275.
- Seminars, 6 credit hours: two courses from ENGL 305; ENGL 320; ENGL 330; ENGL 355; or ENGL 450.
- English electives, 6 credit hours: any 6 hours of courses not previously taken.
The English minor requires 18 credit hours of any English courses at the 200 level or above.
Applicants must meet University of Saint Francis admission requirements.
English majors must maintain a GPA of at least 2.0.
English majors must meet USF graduation requirements.