Interdisciplinary Studies AA
The Interdisciplinary Studies program focuses on developing the whole person. It intentionally requires a well-rounded curriculum while providing tremendous flexibility. Students can take a generalist approach sampling a breadth of disciplines or focus on a discipline of interest and explore related areas. The program allows students to develop a customized curriculum. Students, along with their academic advisor, are encouraged to create a course of study that can prepare them for a desired career, such as music ministry, sports statistics or nature writing, in which the university doesn’t have a targeted program.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon graduation with an A.A. degree in Interdisciplinary Studies, USF students will:
- demonstrate clear and professional writing skills, and
- analyze and assess selected careers for viability in the future based on research.
The A.A. in Interdisciplinary Studies degree requires 60 credit hours:
- 12 -14 credit hours of general education courses
- 18 credit hours in the interdisciplinary studies core
- 9 credit hours in one subject area of choice
- 9 credit hours in a second subject area of choice
- 9 credit hours in a third subject area of choice, and
- elective courses as needed
Program of Study
The A.A. in Interdisciplinary Studies core requires 45 credit hours including:
- Major core of FYS 100, FYS 101, COMM 121, ENGL 104, any one humanities course, any one social, behavioral or natural sciences course, and one of the following: IDSP 390, BUS 200 or ENGL 200,
- Nine credit hours in each of three areas of study of choice, excluding performance, activity and athletics credits (MUSP, THEP, PHES, USF); at least one of the three areas of study must be from a discipline offered by the College of Arts, Sciences and Business, and
- 12-14 credit hours of general education courses in addition to the major-required courses above.
Applicants must meet University of Saint Francis admission requirements.
Interdisciplinary Studies majors must maintain a GPA of at least 2.0.
Interdisciplinary Studies majors must meet USF graduation requirements.
Bachelor degree students earning the A.A. in Interdisciplinary Studies must complete an additional 15 credit hours beyond what is required for their Bachelor degree to be eligible to earn the A.A. in Interdisciplinary Studies.
Crown Point Students
The Associate of Art in Interdisciplinary Studies offers students the convenience of exploring a minimum of 12 credit hours in at least two disciplines in addition to a general education requirement in humanities, social sciences, science, math and religion.
The A.A. in Interdisciplinary Studies degree requires 64 credit hours:
- 30-31 credit hours of general education courses
- 12 credit hours in one subject area of choice
- 12 credit hours in a second subject area of choice
- 3 credit hours in liberal studies core, and
- elective courses as needed
Program of Studies
The A.A. in Interdisciplinary Studies requires LIBS 390. Additionally, six of the 12 credit hours in each of the two areas of focus to be earned at the University of Saint Francis.