Interdisciplinary Studies BA
The interdisciplinary studies program focuses on developing the whole person. It intentionally requires a well-rounded curriculum while providing flexibility. Students can take a generalist approach sampling a breadth of disciplines or delve deep in a discipline of interest and related areas. The program allows students to develop a customized curriculum. Students, along with their academic advisor, are encouraged to create a course of study that can prepare them for a career, such as music ministry, sports statistics or nature writing, in which the university doesn’t have a targeted program. The program provides ample room to incorporate one, two or three minors in support areas like business or health.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon graduation with a B.A. degree in Interdisciplinary Studies, USF students will:
- creatively synthesize knowledge from multiple academic disciplines,
- evaluate moral issues applicable to chosen topic(s) of study,
- demonstrate clear and professional writing skills, and
- analyze and assess selected careers for viability in the future based on research.
The B.A. in Interdisciplinary Studies degree requires 120 credit hours:
- 47-50 credit hours of general education courses
- 6 credit hours in the interdisciplinary studies core
- 15 credit hours in one subject area of choice
- 18 credit hours in a second subject area of choice
- 15 credit hours in a third subject area of choice, and
- elective courses as needed
Program of Study
The B.A. in Interdisciplinary Studies require 18 credit hours of the 51 credit hours in the concentrations to be taken at 300-level or higher, with a total of 30 credit hours of the 120-credit hour degree total at the 300-level or higher. Specifically, the program requires:
- Major core: IDSP 410 and one from: IDSP 390, BUS 200 or ENGL 200,
- Eighteen credit hours from two subject area of choice and 15 credit hours from an additional subject area of choice, excluding performance, activity and athletics credits (MUSP, THEP, PHES, USF); at least one of the three areas of study must be from a discipline offered by the College of Arts, Sciences and Business, and
- 47-50 credit hours of general education courses in addition to the major-required courses above.
Applicants must meet University of Saint Francis admission requirements.
Interdisciplinary Studies majors must maintain a GPA of at least 2.0.
Interdisciplinary Studies majors must meet USF graduation requirements.