Liberal Studies AA
The liberal studies program focuses on developing the whole person. It intentionally requires a well- rounded curriculum in humanities, sciences, and math, but provides tremendous flexibility. Students can take a generalist approach sampling a breadth of disciplines or delve deep in an area of interest and related areas. The program allows students to develop a completely customized curriculum. Students, along with their faculty academic advisor, are encouraged to create a course of study that can prepare them for a career, such as music ministry, sports statistics or nature writing, in which the university doesn’t have a targeted program. The program provides ample room to incorporate one, two or three minors or certificates in support areas like business or health.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon graduation with an A.A. degree in Liberal Studies, USF students will:
- demonstrate clear and professional writing skills.
- analyze and assess selected careers for viability in the future based on research.
The A.A. in Liberal Studies degree requires 60 credit hours:
- 12-14 credit hours of general education courses
- 18 credit hours in liberal studies core
- 9 credit hours in one subject area of choice
- 9 credit hours in a second subject area of choice
- 9 credit hours in a third subject area of choice, and
- elective courses as needed
Program of Study
The A.A. in Liberal Studies requires 45 credit hours including:
- Major core: LIBS 390, FYS 100, FYS 101, COMM 121, any two humanities courses, any one
social, behavioral or natural sciences course.
- Nine credit hours in each of three areas of study of choice, excluding performance, activity and athletics credits (MUSP, THEP, PHES, USF); at least one of the three areas of study must be from a discipline offered by the School of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Major-required courses above must be in addition to the 12-14 credit hours of general education courses
Applicants must meet University of Saint Francis admission requirements.
Liberal Studies majors must maintain a GPA of at least 2.0
Liberal Studies majors must meet USF graduation requirements.
Crown Point Students
The Associate of Art in Liberal Studies offers students the convenience of exploring a minimum of 12 credit hours in at least two disciplines in addition to a general education requirement in humanities, social sciences, science, math and religion.
The A.A. in Liberal Studies degree requires 64 credit hours:
- 30-31 credit hours of general education courses
- 12 credit hours in one subject area of choice
- 12 credit hours in a second subject area of choice
- 3 credit hours in liberal studies core, and
- elective courses as needed
Program of Studies
The A.A. in Liberal Studies requires LIBS 390. Additionally, six of the 12 credit hours in each of the two areas of focus to be earned at the University of Saint Francis.