Liberal Studies BA
The liberal studies program focuses on developing the whole person. It intentionally requires a well- rounded curriculum in humanities, sciences, and math, but provides tremendous flexibility. Students can take a generalist approach sampling a breadth of disciplines or delve deep in an area of interest and related areas. The program allows students to develop a completely customized curriculum. Students, along with their faculty academic advisor, are encouraged to create a course of study that can prepare them for a career, such as music ministry, sports statistics or nature writing, in which the university doesn’t have a targeted program. The program provides ample room to incorporate one, two or three minors or certificates in support areas like business or health.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon graduation with a B.A. degree in Liberal Studies, USF students will:
- creatively synthesize knowledge from multiple academic disciplines
- evaluate moral issues applicable to chosen topic(s) of study
- demonstrate clear and professional writing skills
- analyze and assess selected careers for viability in the future based on research
The B.A. in Liberal Studies degree requires 120 credit hours:
- 47-50 credit hours of general education courses
- 6 credit hours in liberal studies core
- 21 credit hours in one subject area of choice
- 15 credit hours in a second subject area of choice
- 15 credit hours in a third subject area of choice, and
- elective courses as needed
The General Studies minor requires 18 credit hours:
- 18 credit hours of general education
Program of Study
The B.A. in Liberal Studies require 18 credit hours of the 51 credit hours in the concentrations to be taken at 300-level or higher, with a total of 30 credit hours of the 120 credit hour degree total at the 300-level or higher. Specifically the program requires:
- Major core: LIBS 390, LIBS 410
- Twenty-one credit hours from a subject area of choice and 15 credit hours from two additional subject areas of choice, excluding performance, activity and athletics credits (MUSP, THEP, PHES, USF); at least one of the three areas of study must be from a discipline offered by the School of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Major-required courses above must be in addition to the 47-50 credit hours of general education courses
Applicants must meet University of Saint Francis admission requirements.
Bachelor degree-seeking students desiring to earn the AA in Liberal Studies are expected to complete an additional 15 credit hours beyond what is required for their Bachelor degree.
Liberal Studies majors must maintain a GPA of at least 2.0
Liberal Studies majors must meet USF graduation requirements.
Bachelor degree students earning the A.A. in Liberal Studies must complete an additional 15 credit hours beyond what is required for their Bachelor degree to be eligible to earn the A.A. in Liberal Studies.