Political Science BA
Note: This program is being phased out and is no longer accepting new students.
The curriculum focuses on political ideas and practices from the past to the present and is designed to promote critical thinking and discussion. Students will hone their research and writing skills by completing a senior thesis in their area of interest. They are encouraged to complement their work in the classroom with an internship for academic credit.
The program provides students the opportunity to work with their faculty academic advisor to create a tailored curriculum, including a possible minor or second major in a related field of study. In addition to the prescribed courses that form the core of the program, students select directed electives from courses across the major subfields of political science: political theory, American politics, comparative politics, and international relations.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon graduation with a B.A. degree in Political Science, USF students will have:
- Demonstrated an understanding of how research shapes major themes and questions in political science.
- Developed a clear and concise argument concerning a question in their area of interest. Discerned discipline-appropriate source materials to support their thesis.
- Explicated and defended their research results in a clear and cogent oral presentation.
The B.A. in Political Science degree requires 120 credit hours:
- 47-49 credit hours of general education courses
- 21 credit hours of prescribed courses in political science
- 15 credit hours of directed electives in political science or related areas 3 credit hours of upper-level study in history
- elective courses as needed
Program of Study
The B.A. in Political Science degree requires
- Major core, 21 credit hours: POLI 101, POLI 102, POLI 231, POLI 212, POLI 300, POLI 404, POLI 440
- Major directed electives, 15 credit hours from: ECON 328, ENGL 349, POLI 200, POLI 301, POLI 302, POLI 303, POLI 304, POLI 305, POLI 306, POLI 307, POLI 310, POLI 312, POLI 340, POLI 380, POLI 400
Applicants must meet University of Saint Francis admission requirements.
Political Science majors must maintain a GPA of at least 2.0, and are required to earn a grade of “C” or better in all courses required by the major.
Political Science majors must meet USF graduation requirements.