Pre-Chiropractic Medicine BS
USF offers two pathways to chiropractic school: a traditional four year pre-chiropractic program, or an accelerated dual acceptance program through Logan University. Students admitted to the accelerated program will spend three years at USF and three years at Logan University, earning both a B.S. and D.C. in six years, one year less than is typical.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Students are proficient in critical, analytical, and integrative thinking in the sciences.
- Students use the scientific method to conduct hypothesis-driven research or complete a science-based service project.
- Students demonstrate global consciousness, social responsibility, and ethical awareness in the pursuit of science.
- Students demonstrate leadership and the ability to work in teams.
- Students are proficient presenting scientific information in oral and written form.
- Students demonstrate knowledge of the major concepts and principles of biology.
- Students are confident, satisfied, and well-prepared to undertake careers in the biological sciences.
The B.S. in Biology-Pre-Chiropractic studies degree for students in the traditional four year undergraduate program requires 128 credit hours:
- 47-49 credit hours of general education courses (excluding six credit hours counted in the major core)
- 58 credit hours of prescribed courses in biology, chemistry, and physics
- a minimum of 6 credit hours of directed electives in biology and related areas
- elective courses as needed
The B.S. in Biology-Pre-Chiropractic studies degree for students in the accelerated dual acceptance program with Logan University requires 143-144 credit hours:
- 48-49 credit hours of general education courses at USF (excluding six credit hours counted in the major core), and
- 58 credit hours of prescribed courses in biology, chemistry, and physics at USF
- 33 credit hours at Logan University, transferred back to USF
Program of Study
For students in the traditional four-year undergraduate program:
- Major core: BIOL 190, BIOL 191 (Prin. of Bio. I & II), BIOL 226 (Micro.), BIOL 271/2 (Mamm. A&P I with lab.), BIOL 273/4 (Mamm. A&P II with lab), BIOL 295 (Genetics), BIOL 296/7 (Ecol. & Div. with Lab), BIOL 350 (Cell), BIOL 366 (Exp. Design), BIOL 401 (Sen. Cap.), BIOL 480 (Bio. Seminar), CHEM 141, CHEM 142 (Prin. of Chem. I & II), CHEM 241 (Organic Chem I), CHEM 242 (Organic II) or CHEM 333 (Biochem.) and CHEM 367 (Biotech. Lab), PHES 410 (Kinesiology), PSYC 121 (Gen. Psyc.), SCIE 257, SCIE 258 (Physics I & II)
- Major Directed electives, 6 credit hours minimum from: BIOL 227 (Mar. Biol.), [BIOL 257 (Bio. Field Studies) or BIOL 439 (Ornith.) or BIOL 448 (Taxon. Flower. Plants)], BIOL 344 (Dev. Bio.), BIOL 347 (Invert.), BIOL 348 (Behav. Ecol.), BIOL 351 (Cell Lab), BIOL 352 (Adv.Topics/Term. In Med.), BIOL 358/9 (Helathcare in Dev. Country), BIOL 421 (Ecol.), BIOL 438 (Evol.), BIOL 440 (Mol. Bio.), BIOL 465 (Adv. Phys/Patho.), BIOL 471 (Immuno), BIOL 474 (Virol.), BIOL 481 (Bio. Sem.), BIOL 496/9 (Special Problems), PHES 360 (Exer.Physio.), PHES (Biomechanics)
- Electives, 6-7 credit hours: ACCT 110 (Bas. & Man. Acct.) recommended
For students in the dual acceptance accelerated program:
- Major core: BIOL 190, BIOL 191 (Prin. of Bio. I & II), BIOL 226 (Micro.), BIOL 271/2 (Mamm. A&P I with lab) or BIOL 349 (Vert. Phys.), BIOL 273/4 (Mamm. A&P II with lab) or BIOL 290 (Comp. Anat.), BIOL 295 (Genetics), BIOL 296/7 (Ecol. & Div. with Lab), BIOL 350 (Cell), BIOL 366 (Exp. Des.), BIOL 401 (Sen. Cap.), BIOL 480 (Bio. Seminar), CHEM 141, CHEM 142 (Prin. of Chem. I & II), CHEM 241, CHEM 242 (Organic I, II), CHEM 333 (Biochem.), CHEM 367 (Biotech. Lab), SCIE 257, SCIE 258 (Physics I & II), PSYC 121 (Gen. Psyc.)
- Logan University Basic Science courses, 33 credit hours transferred back to USF
Applicants to the Pre-Chiropractic biology program must meet University of Saint Francis admission requirements. To be successful in this program, it is suggested students rank in the upper half of their high school graduation class, have a GPA of at least 2.3 on a 4.0 scale and earn a Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) re-centered score of 1,000 or above (Verbal/Critical Reading and Math combined) or an American College Test (ACT) composite score of 21 or above.
Students seeking dual acceptance to the accelerated B.S.-D.C. must meet admission requirements of USF and Logan University.
Pre-Chiropractic biology majors must maintain a GPA of at least 2.0. Courses may be repeated only once.
For students who have received dual acceptance to the USF B.S. and the Logan University D.C. programs, students must
- Earn a “C” or better in all courses
- Maintain an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.25
Students not meeting the progression standards will forfeit their reserved seat in the graduate portion and can continue with the traditional B.S. in Pre-Chiropractic, Pre-Medicine, Biology or other program at USF and can still apply for graduate school admission through the traditional route.
Pre-Chiropractic biology majors are required to pass an exit exam by the end of their senior year.