Health Sciences Clinical Experience Requirements
To ensure the safety of self and others, health science students are required to complete a variety of activities prior to participating in clinical/field experiences:
- Submit proof of currency in CPR Certification for Health Professionals
- Submit a completed health history and physical examination form
- Provide documentation of immunizations, including Hepatitis B status
- Submit a negative TB skin test each year
- Sign confidentiality forms: Verification of Health Insurance, Consent to Release Information, COHS Informed Consent, Student Confidentiality and Clinical Requirements & Technical Standards
- Annually complete drug testing
- Annually undergo a background check, which includes criminal history, driving history and Office of Inspector General’s list of excluded individuals
- Meet technical standards related to: observation; communication; intellectual, conceptual, integrative and quantitative abilities; motor skills; behavioral and social attributes; tests and evaluations and clinical assessment.
- Attend orientation and compliance sessions as required by clinical facilities
- OSHA Respirator Medical Evaluation Clearance Questionnaire
- OSHA Respirator Fit Testing Certificate
The cost of the above activities is at the student’s own expense.
Affiliating agencies may withhold clinical/field experiences for students with the following records:
- Positive drug screen
- Crimes against the person such as battery or assault
- Crimes based on dishonesty or untruthfulness such as theft or embezzlement
- Drug and other substance abuse related crimes
- History of recent DUI or other driving violations/penalties
- Violation of organizational policies or code of conduct while involved in clinical/field education or employed at the origination
Without clinical/field experiences, the student cannot complete all aspects of the program and will be dismissed from the program.