Mar 04, 2024
USF’s Biology Pre-Medicine program prepares students for the rigors of medical school including osteopathic medicine. Students completing this undergraduate degree would be well prepared to continue studies in a Physician Assistant graduate program as well.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Students are proficient in critical, analytical, and integrative thinking in the sciences.
- Students use the scientific method to conduct hypothesis-driven research or complete a science based service project.
- Students demonstrate global consciousness, social responsibility, and ethical awareness in the pursuit of science.
- Students demonstrate leadership and the ability to work in teams.
- Students are proficient presenting scientific information in oral and written form.
- Students demonstrate knowledge of the major concepts and principles of biology.
- Students are confident, satisfied, and well-prepared to undertake careers in the biological sciences.
The B.S. in Biology Pre-Medicine degree requires 128 credit hours:
- 36-37 credit hours of Franciscan Core general education courses
- 75 credit hours of prescribed courses in biology, chemistry, and physics,
- a minimum of 6 credit hours of directed electives in biology
- elective courses to reach 128 credit hours, including recommended courses required as prerequisites by some medical schools.
Major Directed Electives, 6 Credit Hours Minimum From:
Major Science Electives, 9-10 Credit Hours
Applicants must meet University of Saint Francis admission requirements. To be successful in this rigorous program students should have a strong background in science and math with courses in biology, chemistry, physics, algebra, and geometry. It is suggested students rank in the upper half of their high school graduation class, have a GPA of at least 2.3 on a 4.0 scale and earn a Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) re-centered score of 1,000 or above (Verbal/Critical Reading and Math combined) or an American College Test (ACT) composite score of 21 or above.
Pre-Medicine biology majors must maintain a Cumulative GPA of at least 3.0, and are required to earn a grade of “C” or better in all major courses required by the major, including directed electives. These major courses may be repeated only once.
Students not meeting the progression standards can change major to B.S. in Biology or other program at USF
Pre-medical biology majors are required to pass an exit exam by the end of their senior year.